The Digital Architecture and Engineering team within RSSB is a centre of excellence, tasked with servicing the growing need for integrated data systems and data driven insights. This covers a broad range of rail industry focus areas, including health, safety, quality, and sustainability as well as internal enterprise resource planning and business intelligence.
The team primarily work with the Azure cloud platform, including Data Lake, Data Factory, Data Brick, SQL Server, Postgres, Python Azure Functions and Azure DevOps. Aiming to make use of the latest technologies to achieve best practice development with continuous integration and continuous delivery.
The Data Engineer will support project delivery, working as part of an Agile delivery team. You will work both as a technical resource and engage with business and industry stakeholders, to understand requirements and deliver technical solutions. From a technical perspective, you will build pipelines and simple APIs to load data into the RSSB reporting platform, develop scripts and ETL processes to transform data, and develop data warehouse and Power BI models for analysis and reporting.
- Develop and maintain the structure of the reporting database and related data flows and transformations, to combine data from multiple sources for delivering data insights and business intelligence.
- Design, code, verify, test, document, amend and refactor complex scripts and data integration services to support the delivery of business intelligence and analytics capabilities.
- Develop, maintain and enhance database reporting views and semantic layers.
- Ensure technical solutions support the accessibility, retrievability, security, quality, retention and ethical handling of specific sets of data.
- Examine data requirements, and apply data analysis, design, modelling and quality assurance techniques to modify or maintain data structures and associated data transformation components.
- Plan and deliver small to medium data engineering projects and manage the business change associated with the delivery of these projects.
- Create and manage data models in all their forms, including conceptual models and relational database designs. Maintain specialist knowledge of data warehouse concepts.
- Assist with trouble shooting data issues, validating result sets, recommending and implementing process improvements.
- Influence the information strategy through working with internal business and external stakeholders.
- Investigate ways to extract additional value from existing information assets, including the application of new tools and techniques to make data insights more accessible.
- Develop an effective working relationship with colleagues and RSSB system suppliers, ensuring efficient support of business requirements and data issues, acting as the escalation point for data engineering issues.
- Ensure that agreed standards and tools are applied to achieve well-engineered outcomes, including incorporating monitoring and logging functionality into all aspects of the data platform.
- Participate in reviews of own and colleagues’ work to ensure these components are reliable and maintainable. Optimise code to ensure processes perform optimally and reliably.
- Work in areas including data architecture and business intelligence development; both supporting others and working independently on agreed tasks.
- Maintain a good understanding of the overall RSSB data platform, and wider data ecosystem.
- Take steps to ensure security in their work, and across the organisations data and information assets.
- Advise other team members on details and usage of data structures and models.
- BSc in a scientific or computer science discipline.
- Experience of working with a diverse range of systems and applying complex data engineering techniques to resolve complex technical problems; demonstrate a positive disposition towards problem solving.
- Experience exercising substantial personal responsibility and autonomy, possessing organisational skills and the ability to work independently and with others.
- Experience influencing customers, supplier and peers on data and business intelligence development and processes.
- A commitment to self-development and continuous improvement,, maintaining an awareness of developing data engineering practices and their application.
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience and knowledge of data analysis, data modelling and quality assurance techniques.
- Experience implementing web-oriented data transfer APIs.
- Experience designing, coding, testing and correcting complex SQL models and scripts.
- System/Data integration experience, including application programming interface design, and familiarity with web-oriented architecture techniques.
- Experience of building and maintaining effective customer relationships, at both user and management levels.
- Knowledge of relational database concepts.
A commitment to RSSB’s values and customer service
Early applications are encouraged, as we may close this vacancy before the advertised deadline if sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Closing Date 24/10/2021
Contact Name: RSSB
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.technojobs.co.uk/job/2987241/data-engineer/→